Saturday, May 21, 2005

T-minus 28 days

Soon, I will no longer check that "single" box on my W-2s. For guys, things don't change that much, especially for those who are used to wearing rings on their fingers. I don't have to go down to the Social Security Administration to change my name, along with a dozen other places. I don't have to buy a dress or anything either.

While the bridal-industrial complex is engulfing my soon-to-be-wife this afternoon, I am off to see Episode III with a friend I have had since 4th grade (and I've known him since kindergarten, when he and another kid named JC Foster destroyed my He-Man thermos, which meant war of course) who is going to be a groomsmen and join me in Boston for the revelry next weekend with the other members of Team Groom.

The weather of late has been like Boston last year: erratic. We have had rain, snow, rain, and then 70+ degrees days in a row with sunshine nonstop. Not that I am complaining. This state still has the best weather for seasons of anywhere in the world.

The winters are pretty mild, the average temp is around 30-40 degrees with lots of snow to make it worth your while. The falls are great and last from September to October/November. Spring is not as muddy and overcast as others I have experienced and towards the end (April/May) it can be quite lovely. Summer is hot but doesn't get to the hundreds until late July and August usually. And remember, it's a DRY HEAT.

I am wondering if 2005 will be like 1983 in Salt Lake, when I remember sandbags and bridges over State Street because of all the excess run off. I haven't seen this much precipitation in Utah since then, and my memory is pretty hazy because that was back in the He-Man days.

Work is going well. Everyday I get a new motion or memo to write, and I get to learn what a motion in lemine is or whatever. Doing research now has a point, instead of make believe people we worked for in our Methods class. Now I work for the taxpayers of Salt Lake County and the victims in that case. My senior law clerk who is showing me the ropes has to go in for another Elizabeth Smart hearing soon. I wish I could go and hear that nutbar sing. Even though she tried to explain it to me, I still don't get why they have to let him sing every time and not just have him be present via closed-circuit TV. That way he can sing all he wants and not disrupt the proceedings, which is what he really wants to do.

No comments: