Friday, January 27, 2012

Echoes

When you teach a man to hate and fear his brother, when you teach that he is a lesser man because of his color or his beliefs or the policies he pursues, when you teach that those who differ from you threaten your freedom or your job or your family, then you also learn to confront others not as fellow citizens but as enemies - to be met not with cooperation but with conquest, to be subjugated and mastered.
Robert F. Kennedy, Cleveland, Ohio, April 5, 1968.

I just finished watching a documentary on RFK's funeral train and I heard this quote. Sadly, Bobby's speech seems as true in 2012 as is was in 1968.

I know I have not written here in ages and the habit has died out. But the spirit and the need have not. Do not think that I have not missed writing my thoughts to you or hearing your comments and responses. Know only that the luxurious fleeting moments of time have been spent with family and friends. Still, I regret my neglect of my online friends and the community of minds that can connect over the Internet through an idea. Like wiretapping and torture are wrong and make us less safe, that our time, treasure, lives, and international regard were needlessly squandered in the sands of Iraq. And yet we as a people need to attempt to see the world through someone else's eyes, and not immediately separate and demonize those who disagree with us.

My hope now is that these thoughts will no longer have to echo through time so that the lessons will not have to be relearned generation by generation.

No comments: