Thursday, April 24, 2008

waste of column space

Could someone explain to me why this article was in the paper today?
The field is getting smaller on "American Idol," but it still includes Utah's David Archuleta.
The teenager from Murray advances after singing "Think of Me" from Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Phantom of the Opera."
Carly Smithson, the 24-year-old Irish bartender from San Diego, was eliminated Wednesday, despite good reviews for performing "Superstar" from "Jesus Christ Superstar."
Congrats to Mr. Archuleta, but does anyone who watches this show need this in the paper? And conversely, do people who don't watch the show need to know this, besides classmates, teachers, friends, and family, who I am sure overwhelming watch the show and even sit in the audience?

I know people love "local boy/girl does well" stories, but when that doing well involves going on a reality TV show, I really don't see that as something that needs to be rewarded any more than being on TV already is. If they win a debate tournament, a sports tournament, a music competition, a spelling bee, etc. that isn't televised, then by all means let me know.

But stories about a contestant's progress through "American Idol" is just like a story about someone making it through "Survivor" or any other "reality" show. People go on such shows to become famous, and maybe win money or a get career in their field of choice. I have no trouble with news stories about the person on the show, like how they became such a good singer or whatever, but if I cared about whether they were still on the show or not, I would watch the show. And since I haven't watched "Idol" since the third season, I therefore don't care about how Mr. Archuletta does on the show nor do I want my precious time wasted reading/hearing about said show. But good luck nonetheless kid.

No comments: