Friday, May 13, 2005

Why I won't move to L.A.


As much as I love my family that live out there, and as nice as the weather is, I just can't get over what a messed up little place it is. Where they revel in celebraties in all their phoniness, regularly watch Police Chase on TV (even if someone gets shot in the head on the live feed), enjoy hours stuck in traffic on their massive freeway system and utter lack of public transit (thanks GM), and are more concerned about appearances than reality.

Every time I go there I am astonished people can actually enjoy living in such an artifical world. I am sure people say the same sorts of things about Utah-- that it is singular and strange because of dominance of the LDS faith in state government. But at least mormons don't all get nose jobs and boob jobs and botox with fad diets and pretend to like you when they hate you. And anyway, I like the strict smoking laws and the difficulty to get alchohol and drink and drive. Utah has been way ahead of the rest of the country that way, and it has been a safer place to live to boot. We have about the lowest health care costs of any state because of the lack of smoking related illnesses.

OK off the soap box. It seems that Hill Air Force Base was saved from the ax (mostly) this morning, which to me was no surprise. We had a former congressman whose career was built on saving that base on BRAC and a united delegation working to save the biggest employeer in the state. Poor Jim got squeezed out of the frame, but then again it is not in his district. At least he got on local TV to explain what it was like during the plane scare, that was a smart move.

No comments: