Friday, May 06, 2005

wide open spaces

the reason I haven't written in a awhile (and I apologize) is that I had my last couple finals crammed into this week. But now the first year of law school, which everyone hates, is over.

Most of my friends will be working somewhere in some fashion, and many in legal type jobs. Right now, I have a couple of Pro Bono activities lined up, and I am still waiting for the local public defenders office to get back to me. I doubt I will be hired, but I don't even know how I will make money this summer.

The season spreads out before me as a vast wasteland of time, filled with heat long days, and lots to do. My wedding-related chore list includes about 70 things, according to the fiancée.

Meanwhile, today I will pick up the packet to write on for Law Review. I doubt I will make it on, and I don't even know that I want to be on it with some of the characters on the staff. But it would be nice to be the first in my family to make law review, as unlikely as it would be.

Yesterday many of my friends from Lund's first year prospective class piled into cars and went down to Squatter's to celebrate our end of the year. Many of us wouldn't see each other under August again and all were left wondering what they would do with themselves now that they didn't have to memorize and study like crazy.

It was as if this year never happened. Sure, I can never watch TV or read anything the same way again, but I always felt I was a little odd in that department already. I mean, how many people you know get uncomfortable watching Everybody Loves Raymond or Seinfeld because they can't stand seeing the characters getting caught in embarrassing/awkward situations?

No comments: