Monday, March 13, 2006

Curiouser and curiouser

When I read the headline yesterday that Slobodan Milosevic was found dead in his cell, I thought 'oh crap.' General Clark agrees with me. "He escaped justice and it's a tragedy for the people of Serbia," Clark told United Press International Sunday.

"They were denied the truth," said Clark, who had met the Serbian leader numerous times. "Milosevic," Clark told UPI, "led the Serb people on a foolish and immoral quest for greater Serbia.

I knew that people would speculate about a murder plot. To wit, this from the Melburne Herald Sun:
Milosevic's lawyer revealed a six-page letter from the former Balkans strongman, written the day before he died and alleging he was being given the wrong drugs in an attempt to kill him.

The letter, dated March 10, was addressed to the Russian embassy. A one-page English-language cover note asked the embassy to forward the letter to the Russian Foreign Minister.

The letter alleged that a powerful drug used to treat leprosy or tuberculosis had been found in his blood during an examination on January 12, said Milosevic's legal aide, Zdenko Tomanovic.

"They would like to poison me," he quoted Milosevic as telling him.

Reading a sentence from an English translation of the letter, Mr Tomanovic said: "In any case, the persons who are giving me the drug for the treatment of leprosy surely cannot be treating me, and especially those persons from whom I defended my country in the war and who also have an interest in silencing me."


Somehow, there was an antibiotic found in Slobo's bloodstream during the autopsy, that is designed to counteract those high blood pressure meds. Was he drugged to death? Was he trying to make himself sicker so he could go to a Russian medical facility and never come back to the Hauge? Did he comit suicide, like his parents had?

Somehow I doubt we will ever know for sure. I am pretty certain that what Slobo said was a lie. No one at the UN or ICC would try to kill him. If anything, some Croat, Serbian, or Kosovar general did the deed. To me, the most likely scenerio is that he tried to get himself sick and did too good of a job.

No comments: