Friday, April 07, 2006

trial advocacy

Today at one PM, my partner and I have our fake trial. As employees of the local DA, we have experience writing memos, but never doing examinations or entering things into evidence. But this has been a fun and nerve-racking class. This is one of the few practical courses I have taken at law school (the other appellate practice).

Tonight, an old high school friend and bridesmaid will be in town and my wife and I are excited to see her. Last night, I had my co-counsel and all our fake witnesses over for dinner and one last shot at trial prep. Most are pretty into it and are going to try to tear up at the appropriate moments (it is a murder trial). Hopefully my partner and I won't be the one's crying...afterall, we are going against the best oralist at this year's Traynor Moot Court Competition (who won the "moot court madness" very un-George Mason-like). His partner is no slouch either...but then again, thanks to all our memo writing practice, we got both graphic photos in and prevented him from excluding all of our hearsay at least until they object during the trial. We shall see how it goes.

By 6 PM tonight though, I will be done with that class (and my teaching in HS class as well) and will have 7 credits more under my belt before I ever take the finals for this semester. And that's a nice feeling.

No comments: