Tuesday, May 30, 2006

It won't go away

On my 809th post, I would like to go back to one of my favorite whipping boys: Kanab's Natural Family Resolution.

According to the The Salt Lake Tribune the locals can't stop talking about it. And the local press invites the public to forgo their Constitutional rights.
Tyler Juber brings it up because he wants others to stop bringing it up.
"Natural-family this, natural-family that," the Kanab teen writes in last week's Southern Utah News. "Oh, this person said this and now I hate him. The mayor passed a horrible proclamation. Shut up!" [...]
Since the resolution's passage, her quiver of letters to the editor has overflowed with commentaries - from near and far, both for and against the resolution.


Kanab's idiot Mayor Kim Lawson is upset that "the media has chosen to bother a community of 4,000 or less." All this attention was the last thing I wanted when I made my city one of the only to adopt a Sutherlands Institute resolution. "The majority of Kanab residents, whether they are for or against this, just want the issue to go away," says the Mayor. The Mayor goes on to say that he doesn't think the resolution intends to single out certain individuals and that he is one of those 'hate the sin, love the sinner' types when it comes to gays etc.

Kortney Stirland, a Kanab pharmacist and diner owner who is LDS and opposes the resolution, argues that another reason why the resolution is unnecessary is that the Church already has a similar resolution out there "That states my belief on the family. . . . Most people don't support the resolution for the same reasons I don't - because of the contention and anger it has caused."

Even some LDS leaders have asked Mayor Lawson repeal the resolution, knowing bad PR when it sees it, but Lawson refuses. I hope that the voters will refuse to reelect him.

No comments: