Sunday, January 10, 2010

the fortune cookie chronicles (my life)

So yesterday I go out to dinner and get a fortune cookie (which by the way were originally Japanese cookies that, thanks to internment camps during World War II became Chinese "fortune cookies"). That "fortune" said that (and I am paraphrasing here) I have a "major talent" that I am not using. Somehow, this struck home.

And I know this sounds prideful and arrogant, but I do feel like my abilities are not being fully utilized. Don't get me wrong, I am so lucky to have a job, especially a good one where I have as much fun as possible when you work 8-13 hours a day. And it is intellectually stimulating; I also have learned so much in the past year or so. Yet somehow, there is this sense I have that I am missing something. Perhaps this is related to my sudden desire to have a hobby.

Has a fortune cookie ever struck a chord with you?

No comments: