Wednesday, November 05, 2003

I know where you were last night

Ok, well at least I know where I was: Rocking the Vote in the freezing winds of Boston.

And ladies and gentlemen, we ABD folks (anybody but Dean) have found a chink in the armor: his blustering arrogance.

Flag shmag I say. We all know Dean doesn't mean that he likes the confederate flag or is a racist, but what he is is a guy who refuses to admit when he is wrong and when he changes his position. (Both of which happen often enough) It is a sign of leadership to say, hey I messed up, I am sorry or I think differently now because of X,Y, and Z and I was mistaken before.

The question that started it all was, in effect, how will you be sensitive to the needs of black people? Dean's response was, by working to help white people.

Al Sharpton jumps on Dean and says, "You are not a bigot, but you appear to be too arrogant to say 'I'm wrong,' and go on." (After the debate, Dean mistakenly attributes this comment to John Edwards.) Then, John Edwards stands up to confront Dean and delivers one of the best shots of the evening: "Because let me tell you the last thing we need in the South is somebody like you coming down and telling us what we need to do." And with that one truly heartfelt moment of anger by Edwards, his candidacy just showed some life, we have a pulse. Good work counselor.

These are the things that, Ironically, make Dean more like Bush than the other candidates. When was the last time you can recall Bush doing a 180 (lots), well how about admitting he had done a 180 (none)? How about admitting he was wrong when he does a 180 or says something stupid (none)? How about when has Bush arrogantly believed he was right and that it was his way or the highway (how about his whole damn life)? So before you start calling people Republican-lite/Bush-like Gov. Dean, take a good look in the mirror.

Because the same reason Bush is a misleader instead of a leader and, in my estimation, the worst president since those ones we forget about in the late 19th/early 20th century, is because he takes no responsibility for mistakes or changes and just tries to fix the blame on someone else, while fixing the credit on his shoulders.

The most important quote of the night, "He lost me." -- Sekou Dilday, the "Rock The Vote" Confederate Flag questioner on Dean's answer, Boston Herald, 11/5

No comments: