Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Deija-Vu, all over again

The other day I was downtown drinking an iced coffee at Dunkin Donuts. When I looked out the window, I saw their rival, Starbucks, across the street. That isn't that surprising, but I remembered back about 14 months ago when I went in there to Meetup with the folks running the Draft campaign of Wesley Clark in Massachusetts.

Back then, we all laughed at how we were all unemployed and poked fun at one who just finished law school (and poor sap) had to take the bar exam.

Over a year later, the actual Clark campaign has come and gone, with many of us having gotten jobs working for Clark (not me) in New Hampshire or MA and are now back to being unemployed. Now I am leaving my job at the State House, only to have the JD Clark-ie apply for my job. Where I am going? Law School. All this made me feel like Neo seeing the cat in the Matrix.

Meanwhile, my boss has finally gotten serious about reviewing resumes and sending out job descriptions. I am not worried about her finding someone, I am literally buried in resumes coming in from the internet and off the State House network. The trick is to find the right one for my boss, who might go for a local yokel now that I left for law school (although I warned her that I would be here 1-2 years at the start).

It all goes to make me feel lucky to have been chosen, especially in the current/past job climate. My heart goes out to all of those who are trying to get work and into graduate school to avoid trying to get work (because there is little to be found). Trust me, I have been there.

No comments: