Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed

The Third Avenue's book of the day:


No, this isn't a joke. It is a scary children's book that conservatives are supposed to read to their children so that they will forever be in fear of government regulation of business, business taxation, separation of church and state, etc. First they go for Enron and Bob Jones, next thing you know, they after Timmy's lemonade stand.

I wonder when "Help! Mom! James Dobson Is Under My Bed" will come out. Here is my plot summary: Two consenting adults are about to engage in pre-marital sex, and Dobson pops up to stop them. When the couple is gay, Dobson gets out his gun. When the couple's brain dead daughter is on life support, he blocks the daughter's husband from pulling the plug, even though the daughter asked him to do so.

I guess living in Utah has made me a libertarian that occasionally sees the value of government to prevent our fellow citizens from screwing us over: (insurance companies, big oil, big pharma, televangelists/megachurches, the hyper-rich, etc.). The government's regulation should stop at my bedroom, however, unless I am raping, robbing, murdering, or molesting someone.

hat tip to Political Wire

No comments: