Wednesday, November 07, 2007

a new beginning

Rep. Steve Urqhart (R-St. George) wrote a half congratulations/half insult to my post on swearing into the Utah Bar. Since I am having a particularly good couple weeks, maybe I won't rub it in that his voucher bill lost in every single county in Utah...nah.

Rather than gloating or congratulating (Mayor Becker has a nice ring to it), I write today about how this blog will have to change during the next year. And why.

Two hours before my swearing into the bar, I had a job interview for a judge. When I landed in D.C. and turned on my cell phone, I had a message from said judge telling me I was hired and he needed me out here ASAP. So I ended my internship two weeks early (thanks to my awesome boss at the Campaign Legal Center), packed up all my belongings, and paid through the nose to fly back to SLC two days ago.

As a staffer for the judicial branch, I cannot comment anymore on things that might come before the court or be partisan in general. Had vouchers passed for instance, there was a very good chance that my boss would be ruling on whether or not the bill violated the Utah Constitution.

Thus, I may focus on the horse race or policy aspects of the 2008 elections, but I will (hopefully) refrain from supporting one side or the other. It won't be as much fun, but this job is important to me.

As far as standing for something, Rep. Urquhart, I stand for the Utah and United States Constitution. Great minds can differ about many aspects of interpreting this august documents, but we all can agree that it is they who are to be exhaulted in our system of government, not particular persons or factions.

My career goals are to help as many people as possible as much as possible to make their lives better. Oh and make enough money to support my family. In that order. To me, that can be through the courts (on the inside or outside), or the legislative process (again from within or externally), or the executive branch (local, state or federal), or though NGOs/non-profits.

So if you have thoughts on how to make things better in Salt Lake, in Utah, in America, in the world, drop them into the comments section.

5 comments:

Clint Gardner said...

Congratulations on the new job.

The Lady Logician said...

Congrats on the new job. I think there must be something in the air. We just found out my husband is being transferred to Utah as soon as we sell the house. That is how I found your blog here.

LL

Mark E. Towner said...

Congrats also....

My Wife Carrie Towner also was sworn into the Utah Bar.

Her last month was a two week trial in Federal Court, and Oral Arguments before the Utah Supreme Court last Tuesday.

What Judge?

Unknown said...

My husband was reading your blog and showed me this post. Congratulations! Great way to start your career! Best, Carrie

Misty Fowler said...

Congratulations on the new job. Your partisan opinions will be missed, but I look forward to seeing how your blog progresses with the new limitations.