Saturday, May 29, 2004

Weekend update



Remember that Utah State Legislature that decided not to run after soliciting sex from an undercover cop for $40? Well now he is resigning his seat as well.

Rebecca Walsh of the Salt Lake Tribune reports that "On April 12, Bird pleaded guilty and was placed on probation for a year and ordered to go through the city's 'Johns Program.'

"Friday, Bird said he would leave his legislative seat as soon as he clears up some health insurance issues.

"'I'm trying to write something up now,' he said. 'It's not coming easy. I brought a lot of grief to my wife, my family and the party. I just made a big mistake. I sure feel bad about it.'"

The John's Program lets those who solicit prostitutes to clear their records by attending a 10-week course of therapy classes aimed at diverting "Johns" from soliciting again. If Bird completes the program, his class B misdemeanor citation -- which means he would have gotten a max of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine -- will be cleared in a year.

No comments: