Monday, December 06, 2004

Waging war over the war, 2 years later

I wish someone could explain to me why liberals love fighting the same battles over and over, like Bill Murry in Groundhog Day. The purfect example is once liberal icon Ralph Nader, who thought it would be fun to fight for the New Deal again by making such a fuss in 2000 (and 2004).

The big bloggers are currently having a meta-debate over the Iraq War. Atrios believes that those who didn't support the invasion of Afghanistan weren't necessarily against war in general while CalPundit and Matthew Yglesias take the opposite position. All three were against the Iraq war and all want to talk about why the Michael Moore's of the party get shamed while the Bruce Reed's stay in prominance. [see BOPNews' summarization and discussions]

It all makes me feel like Punxsutawney Phil. There is definately something to what Kevin Drum and his camp is saying, that is, many of the people that opposed the invasion of Afghanistan are pacifist-leaning. Of couse, not all of them are. I am still very tired of refighting the war about the war.

There's no doubt in my mind that our generation will be talking about Iraq the way my parents talk about Vietnam. And my kids will be like who cares? I guess the reason for the constant refighting is to remind ourselves that the Baby Boomers finally came completely full circle. In the 80s and 90s they succomed to greed and in the 00's they gave into military might over right. They are now the people they were railing against in the 60s and 70s. Ironic isn't it? Of course, this is another generalization that doesn't fit all. But I am sure polls will back me up on the Baby boomers being at least marginally (52% or something) in favor of the war at the time and for most of it.

All this rediscussion makes me understand why my conservative friends get so exaspirated with liberals. You never see such hand-ringing and re-navel gazing amoung conservatives. Everything is honky dory when you are winning. We will see if they have a bout of re-examination if they lose big time in 2008. But I doubt it will be as bad as the ones Democrats and other progressives have been doing for 4 straight years now.

Anyway, I should get back to Civil Procedure. Enjoy folks.

No comments: