Sunday, March 27, 2005

No blood on their hands

Every Good Friday/Easter, I think about the whole "it's the Jews fault that Jesus was crucified" thing, especially since Mel Gibson's movie. To me, Jesus needed to sacrifice himself in order for us to be able to approach God, to atone for our sins etc. The Jews on that day in 30something AD had their role to play in God's preordained plan. I don't think we need to consider them "guilty" of murdering Jesus. After all, Christ willingly gave himself up and knew this was the deal from the get go, even if he had his human moment on the cross ("Father, why have you forsaken me?"). Plus, he came back from the dead right? No harm, no foul.

The story of their guilt, like the story of Mary Magdalene as a prostitute were both means to an end: to marginize and discriminate against Jews and Women in Europe since about the Middle Ages.

I would have to ask some theologian about this, but I wonder if Jesus' body died that day but the Holy Spirit and his essence or what have you was what the disciples and Mary saw. After all, don't you think it was odd that they didn't recognize him? After all, these 13 people had hung around him for years 24/7. You would think they would recognize their Rabbi? No has ever adequately explained that one to me.

On a personal note, we are off to see my grandma, aunt and uncle, and parents for Easter dinner. Have a great day.

No comments: