Tuesday, July 19, 2005

a growing niche job

It is amazing to see how bloggers have become a normal high-level position to fill in big campaigns. In just a few years we have gone from novelity to must-haves for part of the communications and fundraising wings of campaigns.

I am pleased to know at least one of them: Matt Stoller. In the summer of 2003 he was a blogger extrodiniare and Clark Draftee. By the summer of 2005 he is on his second major campaign as blogger. First, he worked for Simon Rosenburg in his big for DNC chair, now he is working for Sen. Corzine in his bid for NJ governor. There are others like him. Folks like Tim Tagaris, who works for GrowOhio.org a pre-Senate grassroots site for US Rep. Sharrod Brown (D-OH) and a PA US Senate candidate whose name I have trouble spelling. He also blogs on SwingStateproject and all the other major democratic blogs.

Of course, I am sure Webmasters used to be a new fangled thing, but now a serious campaign couldn't imagine not having a website, even those running for city council. And before that, it was the TV guy or the Radio guy or the Telephone guy (they were all men I am sure back then).

What will the future bring, and am I too late to get on the blog consultant bandwagon? By the time law school is over, I won't have much of a chance to get on board at a high level of a campaign that is national. Maybe a state-wide one in my beloved state of Utah, but even there I may be too far behind the curve. Still, I always love sharing my thoughts with you all and getting some input.

As an aside, if you have any public interest law topics you would like to speak in public about to the U law students, please contact me. Or if you have any suggestions for events, also feel free to contact me.

No comments: