Friday, May 05, 2006

Friday round-up

Wherein I cull all the best tidbids from around the blogophere.

  • “The official team bus to be used by the United States during the World Cup will not bear a flag for security reasons. The 32 official buses were presented Thursday in Frankfurt and the other 31 buses have large national flags of the teams painted on rear sides.”--The only one. Why don't we put a Canadian flag on our bus like all the tourists have to do with their backpacks? [hat tip Center for American Progress]


  • Following up on Rep. Kennedy's exploits: "Kennedy: I Wasn't Drinking. I Was High." On what you ask? Why Ambien of course! Isn't that the stuff that makes you eat while you sleep? But then again we have this juicy nugget from an employee of the Hawk and Dove (great Bar) "He was drinking a little bit."

    [hat tip TPM] Patrick's statement:
    "Last Tuesday, the Attending Physician of the United States Congress treated me for Gastroenteritis," a stomach illness. According to Kennedy, the attending physician prescribed Phenergan, an anti-nausea medication, which in addition to treating gastroenteritis, "I now know [it] can cause drowsiness and sedation."

    "Following the last series of votes Wednesday evening, I returned to my home on Capitol Hill and took the prescribed amount of Phenergan and Ambien, which was also prescribed by the Attending Physician some time ago and I occasionally take to fall asleep. Some time around 2:45am, I drove the few blocks to the Capitol Complex believing I needed to vote.

    "Apparently, I was disoriented from the medication. At that time, I was involved in a one-car incident in which my car hit the security barrier at the corner of 1st and C St, SE. At no time before the incident did I consume any alcohol."


  • Crime doesn't pay, in fact, it costs you lots...in attorney's fees. "Ohio Republican Rep. Ney, struggling to survive Abramoff link, used campaign funds to pay lawyers more than $200,000; now he taps legal defense fund. Montana Republican Sen. Burns also considers using campaign account despite re-election battle. Federal Election Commission permits such spending if alleged wrongdoing relates to official duties." [hat tip Washington Wire] Can some one tell me why we let people raise $2,100 checks for their "reelection" and then let them turn around and fork that over to a criminal defense lawyer? Doesn't seem right to me. As a donor, I would ask for my money back. But I guess the people that give to these crooks know what they are buying. Oh and don't forget the token Democrat: Rep. William Jefferson (LA) wasted $34k of his donors money on defense lawyers, and that will probably go up since someone just pled guilty to bribing Jefferson. I say throw all the bums out and the DCCC and unions better not be giving to this crook.


  • In local news, Sandy won't give up keeping [it] Real: "Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon argues the numbers "don't work," so Sandy officials are going to work on those numbers. The goal: See if they can salvage a Major League Soccer stadium."


  • Does somebody have a book to sell? We wouldn't want anyone [else] to profit from a tragedy/crime! "Appearing on "Larry King Live" with her father, Ed Smart, [Elizabeth] Smart answered questions about the kidnapping and her life after it. Today, Smart works as a bank teller and has a boyfriend. At high school, she is treated pretty regularly, she said."

No comments: