Thursday, April 14, 2005

Non-news: Matheson not running for Senate

Finally squashing rumors sprouted by the Hatch campaign, Rep. Jim Matheson (D-02) "I just wanted to tell him [Senator Hatch that I wasn't running against him] and not put it in the press first. I value the relationship and look forward to building on it. People in politics gossip more than any other vocation I know, and it's not productive and I just wanted to put an end to it right now." Smart move. Hatch replied semi-nicely "It was a very nice thing for him to do. Whatever he decided would have been fine. I was pleased that he came to see me." Maybe when Hatch retires, he won't campaign that hard against Matheson if/when he runs for the open Senate seat.

On a a hopeless note, ISP XMission pres. Pete Ashdown (D) is going challenge Hatch. State Rep. Pat Jones (D) "was also asked to run, but she quickly turned it down." smart move.

Outgoing state chair Donald Dunn had the best line of the day: "Senator Hatch has a promising career in songwriting." adding that Matheson certainly could have beaten Hatch, but that he understands Matheson still wants to do more for his District. Dunn went on to say that there will be other candidates and that after 30 years, Utahns are tired of Hatch. Thanks Tribune!

No comments: