Saturday, April 16, 2005

nostalgia

So on Friday, there was a Brown Club event here in Salt Lake. A professor of Sociology came to talk [people claimed that was the first time they remember this happening in Salt Lake] about her paper on Providence's renewal and how urban revitalization really works. It was neat to talk about how great Providence has become especially to meet a guy from the class of 1934!

But the real treat for my family was that the talk was hosted at an alum who amazingly enough lives in the house I grew up in on (you guessed it) 3rd Ave in Salt Lake City. The last time I was there was 1989, but not that much had changed. The hosts were gracious enough to let my family wonder around ever nook and cranny of their house (my parents were there since my Dad is class of 1967). My parents enjoyed saying, oh look our overhead lamp is still here! Or, we put in that tile in the bathroom. Cool changes to the house: the turned the "attic," which in our days was just support beams, a swamp cooler, and insulation into a playroom for the kids. They even made it accessable from the kid's closet via a rock climbing wall.

Coming on the heals of another birthday, I felt old telling the children who gave me a tour of their rooms that I used to live there when I was their age. I guess it happens to us all. Oh I also wanted to point out that I do nearly everything approximately 35 years apart from my Dad: Birth, College, Law School, Marriage, at this rate, I will also have a second kid when I am about 35 as well. It is a bit creepy don't you think? Maybe 35 years from now, I will go to a Brown event and look at the house I lived in for 11 years and where I raised my kids. [OK that's the last time I watch Father of the Bride II, stupid accidentlly free HBO]

No comments: