Friday, October 08, 2004

Does it feel drafty in here, or is it just me?

Something I have been meaning to talk about in the last couple days but never got around to it was the internet rumors and worries about Vietnam-style draft being reinstated for Iraq should Bush win reelection. Republicans have charged that Democrats are just trying to scare college students and thier worried mothers into voting for their party. In fact, I have even seen one of the emails that went around from my future Mother-in-Law.

My gut reaction to her was "not to worry, there is no way in hell that it will pass." Sure enough, a day or so later, the GOP brings up Democratic Congressman (African-American and Korean War Veteran) Charlie Rangel's bill so they can defeat it 402-2 to quell the worries.

But reading DailyKos today, I came across a great speech by Ohio Democrat Tim Ryan (who replaced James "Beam me up" Trafficant in 2002) who made the point that the reason this is even an issue is due to the Bush Administration's near pathelogical-lying/knowing self-desception on the war on Iraq. "There's not one thing, not one thing that this admistration said about the war that was true!" Basically, he said, why should college students, or anyone else for that matter, trust a President that won't admit to realities on the ground and who didn't tell us the truth so many times. If you haven't clicked that link yet, please do, it really the best speech to come out of the house on a floor vote in a long time. And I should know, because I am a C-SPAN junkie.

No comments: